If you run a small business working with cars, vans or trucks you are likely to need motor trade insurance. Whether you are a car dealer selling new or used cars, a valet, mechanic or even a trade plate driver, trade insurance covers you against road risks for any accidents that may occur while driving cars for business purposes.

This avoids the need to insure each vehicle individually, and protects against bumps and scrapes to customer cars as well as making you road legal should you need to transport a vehicle. Do note however that the vehicles you drive will not be entered on the national insurance database, and so you might find you get pulled over by police in order to test that you genuinely are using the vehicle for work and not pleasure.

As well as covering road risks, many trade policies will also look after your public liability cover, in case of any accidents your clients may have on your business premises, as well as insuring your place of work itself against accidental damage or theft. Many policies can also be tailored to cover against negligence and indemnify you against mistakes in workmanship that could amount to a hefty claim should it lead to a failure or accident on the road.

Overall it is a great idea to ensure you are covered against all eventualities, and in order to get the best price on your trade policy we recommend you use a comparison engine to compare quotes from the top UK motortrade brokers.

If you are a young person under 25 you may find it harder to get covered. We recommend all younger drivers use a comparison site to ensure they reach someone who can insure them.

It's possible to insure a wide range of professions within the motortrade. Popular categories include mobile car valets and valeting services, car importers and exporters, scrappage schemes, new and used car dealers, recovery truck drivers and trade plate licence holders, as well as mechanics, bodyshops and crash repair companies.